Monday, January 30, 2012

My Moment in Greece

My moment in Greece wasn't at an Acropolis, it wasn't on an island, it wasn't climbing a mountain, it happened to be at last nights dinner. Don't worry, I have truly valued and reflected spiritually at the surrounding beauty, but it cannot compare to the feelings that came over me at dinner. Why it was at dinner, I'm not sure. I've eaten meals with my colleges plenty of times, but yesterday struck a nerve.

Last night we dressed up and had a delicious and filling five-course meal. Throughout our dinner, we listened and laughed with Momma Fin as she shared stories of her young life. As I listened to her story, I looked around all the faces of my friends, the strangers who became family, and reflected on the story we have written. This is when my moment hit me. Our time here in Greece was coming to a close, and I had to fathom the thought of leaving my new-found world. These people are the explorers who walked alongside me in the journey of self-discovery. The architects who built a home amongst the unfamiliar and the counselors who listened in times of pain.

This moment felt like hours. I was overcome with the feeling of love, appreciation and heartbreak. In an instant, thousands of memories flashed before me and my eyes began to fill with tears.

Words cannot define the feelings I have for Greece and the friends who were here to share it. Because of this experience, I know who Katie Fisher is. I found her by answering questions I faced in classroom discussions and living amongst Greek culture. This trip has challenged me mentally, and spiritually and I would not have been able to conquer these obstacles if my classmates weren't beside me. For that, I am eternally grateful.
My moment ended at the sound of roaring laughter. I quickly dried my eyes and became engaged in the conversation. After all, I have the whole plane ride to cry. With the final day approaching, I will cherish every moment I have left.

No comments:

Post a Comment