Sunday, January 22, 2012

I can see Turkey from my window!

Hello from Rhodes! Christine and I are currently sitting in our hotel room listening to the waves crash against the sand. How did we get from busy Athens streets, to a calm paradise? I’ll tell you.

This morning was bittersweet. Saying goodbye to the apartment wasn’t easy. Today we left the city I feel the most comfortable in. Because of all our walks and adventures, I know how to get around Athens much better than I do Seattle or Portland, and I wasn’t sure if I was ready to leave something I’d become so attached to. I quickly got over my sadness when I realized that we were spending a week in a five star hotel on island. Bummer.

After a short plane ride we landed in Rhodes, and as expected, it is very quiet and peaceful be. I haven’t heard one car horn since we’ve been here! Because it’s January, half of the businesses and restaurants closed for the off-season and there are only two hotels open. After a delightful lunch, I took the opportunity to get to know the island and its beauty by going on a run.

Running on the boardwalk, parallel to the Aegean is something everyone should put on their bucket list. Today I ran on a golden gravel trail that wound through giant boulders with waves crashing up against them. On one side of the trail was lush moss and wildflowers that covered each boulder while the other brought the fresh air of invigorating saltwater. Every person I saw smiled and greeted me on my path, and it made me feel very welcome. Out of all of the runs I have been on, this is the one I have enjoyed the most. I felt like I was connecting to the natural beauty around me and appreciating the vast blue sea.

My run only ended because my body was tired. If I had my choice, I would still be running. Thankfully, I have time to go on many more throughout our visit. Oh yeah, did I mention that I can see Turkey out my window? You can't really see it in this picture, but I promise there will be more to come!
P.S. Hi mom... sorry its been a few days. I've been busy the past few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment