Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Katie the Greek

Before I came on this trip I didn’t know anyone, and they didn’t know me. For all they knew, I could be an angry person with a Russian accent. This fresh start gave me the opportunity to find out who I am without my Parkland bubble. As a result, I have learned a lot about myself.

I’ve learned that I love making small talk with every person I meet. Whenever I go to the store or restaurant, I’ll ask the waiter or clerk what their favorite is and purchase that item. At home, I’m usually very indecisive and stare at the menu for hours, trying to figure out what I want. In Greece, I’ve learned to solve that problem by talking to locals and asking what I should buy.

With my mom and Kylie being half way around the world, I’ve learned that I’m pretty adventurous. Whenever a mountain needs to be climbed or a trail that needs to be explored, I’m always up for it. Yes, there is a faint voice in my head telling me that this probably isn’t the smartest thing to do, but I’m only in Greece once and I want to experience everything.

Fun fact; I’m afraid of stairs. Not completely petrified, but I’ve fallen down enough of them to be cautious. In Greece, the only way around is by climbing stairs. If I want to get around anywhere, or keep up with the group, I need to face my fear. I am happy to say that my fear has been conquered.

I have also learned that I’m very outgoing. I think being surrounded by music majors for the last four years has made me feel like I have a pretty mellow personality. Wrong. In this group, my personality stands out. I had no idea how loud and crazy I really am. I guess that’s good to know.

Not only has Greece been a great academic learning experience, but it has helped me find out who I am, without my American influences. Watch out, America. Katie the Greek is here to stay.

2 comments:

  1. I am excited to meet Katie the Greek ;-) And I am loving following along on your adventure. Thanks for the posts. You sound like you are having an amazing trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of you! Take lots of pictures, love you cuz, Sarah

    ReplyDelete