Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Walking Experience

Athens is a beautiful city. I can also say the same for Portland, Seattle and many other cities I've been in. They all have busy streets, friendly people, and delicious food, but somehow Athens is different. When I experience the culture of a city, I visit coffee shops, parks and markets by driving or taking a bus to different destinations across the city. Never again will I make this mistake.
In Athens I am still experiencing the culture by visiting the coffee shops, parks and markets but I'm doing so in a much more intimate way. Walking EVERYWHERE has been the most illuminating and rewarding part of my time in Athens. Why? Because I can visually see and appreciate each cobble stone in my path, dodge every pigeon, apply Frogger knowledge to every crosswalk and be surrounded be the life and energy that defines the city of Athens.

Last night, our class took a long walk to to Lycabettus hill, the highest point in Athens, to have coffee and overlook the city. This hill is perfect for anyone in need of ambiance and a work out, but the getting there is the hard part. Once you reach the base of the hill, you now have to climb up a never-ending staircase (Seriously, I have never climbed that many stairs in my life). When you have miraculously climbed the last step, you have the choice to walk up the rest of the mountain, or take a gondola up to the top. When asked who wants to climb the mountain, the class was silent. Our quads and calfs were already sore from the last staircase, and we weren't sure if we were up for another. After no reply, Dr. Finitsis looked me and said, "Katie, would you like to climb the mountain?" At this moment, I decided to ignore my complaining legs and apply my newly acquired knowledge of experiencing the city of Athens and decided to walk.

Four other friends joined me in the climb and we all agreed that it was a good decision. Every step we took was more beautiful than the next and finally led us to the top of the Lycabettus. I have never seen so many city lights coming from all directions. The view was simply breathtaking and could not have been fully experienced in a gondola. Once again, walking proved to be the best decision.

After walking throughout the city for the last four days, I have gained a new perspective on experiencing city life. I now know that if you want to truly get to know a city, walk every chance you get. You won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment