Monday, January 23, 2012

The Good Life

On Sunday, our first full day in Rhodes, we went to visit the small island of Symi. The only way to get there was by a ferry known for being extremely rocky. For some of our class, this was the deciding factor not to go, but I have ridden ferries many times before, and I knew I wouldn't have a problem. Unfortunately, I was wrong.

It was a particularly windy day in Rhodes. You could see more white caps than blue ocean, but we already had our tickets and decided there was no turning back. Once we were settled safely in our seats and made it out of the harbor the captain stepped on the gas; thats when the fun began. The first five minutes of our trip was quite exhilarating. Our boat would get four seconds of air time before it crashed back in the water. Up and down, up and down our bodies were swaying or sometimes even jolting. After ten minutes, I wanted to get off of this Tony Hawk simulator. I decided to close my eyes and try to calm down. This worked for about five minutes, but then I had to rest my head on my knees. From that position I had to start humming 'Let it Be' by John Lennon in attempt of focus on something else, but nothing seemed to help. I was in a downward spiral into uncontrollable dizziness.

I never thought a boat ride could make me feel so helpless. My body was too heavy to move and I was completely disoriented. No matter how hard I tried, my hearty, hotel breakfast was going to make an appearance. Because I had no strength to walk to the bathroom, I knew I was going to throw-up in front of all of my friends. I slowly reached for the 'feel better' bag in the seat pocket, pleading with my body to be composed. The last words I heard were Austin telling me, "Don't worry, Katie. You got this" but it was too late. Seconds later the deed was done. My dignity gone. Markelle walked me to the bathroom and I decided to stay there for the rest of the ride.

I decided to share my story under this title because the boat ride showed me how lucky really I am. Even though I was completely embarrassed, my friends first concern was how I was feeling. After seeing their reactions, I quickly got over my pride and was able to enjoy the rest of the day. I am very fortunate to be surrounded by caring and compassionate people.

On the ride home I decided to stay on the top deck so I could breathe the fresh air and avoid getting sick. My friends bundled me up with coats and gloves, gave me ginger, stocked my purse with 'feel better' bags and frequently climbed the stairs to check on me. Austin was even nice enough to stay in the cold and keep me company the entire trip back. These people are the reason why I have a good life. Without their help, my horrible ferry ride would have defined my trip. Instead, I explored the beautiful island of Symi with kindhearted and strong-stomached friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment