Monday, January 9, 2012

Apartment Life

Even though I've only been here for two nights, I am sold on this whole apartment thing. If you ever want to have an apartment in Athens, here is what you need to know:

Once you actually arrive in Greece, make sure you know how to say, "Will you please help me unlock the door?"
As you can see, there are three keys; one to unlock the main door to your building, one to unlock the main lock on your apartment door and the large (Gringotts-like) key is known as the safety key which unlocks a three-prong deadbolt. In order to open your door, you have to turn the large key approximately four times and the smaller key twice while pushing and pulling at the same time? I don't know. Christine always does it for me. Thanks Christine!

The bathroom is pretty normal. Just make sure you turn on the hot water twenty minutes before you'd like to take a shower. This may seem strange, but I think the Greeks are onto something. As someone who has to pay a light an water bill, not using electricity to heat water while you sleep sounds like a wonderful idea!

Notice anything different about the toilet? Well you can't really tell in this picture, but there is no flush handle. In order to properly dispose of certain materials, one must pull down the white button on the bottom of the bowl hanging on the wall. Don't ask me why, just thank me later.

The pictures below show the rest of my apartment including the kitchen, bedroom and roommate. Jessica and Maddie share another room, but are not featured in this blog, but will be in blogs to come.



No comments:

Post a Comment